EXPERIENCE FUNDRAISING WITH INDIVIDUALS
Broad experience managing all aspects of annual giving and related campaigns for colleges, universities, and various nonprofit organizations. Highlights include:
- Recent consulting success with the Council for A Better Louisiana (CABL) includes the coordination of two large annual membership appeals (August and December 2017), the latter highlighting an unprecedented “2018 Membership Challenge” campaign. Also co-directed the design of the “Our Case for Membership and Support” text and materials. Click here to view.
- As V.P. for Institutional Advancement with the Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities, I increased annual giving three-fold.
- Trained, consulted, and delivered conference addresses on modern best practices in annual giving for more than two decades.
Experienced long-term relationship-builder and “closer” with individual major gifts in the five, six, and seven-figures. Highlights include:
- While directing LSU’s institutional corporate, foundation, and research relations, I also spearheaded major gift efforts with individuals, accomplishing three top endowment priorities: the $1 million Raborn/Faget Chair in Engineering and two endowments totaling $5.8 million from Houston alumnus Charles Barney: (1) LSU’s STRIPES Program; and (2) The Charles Barney Geology Field Camp in Colorado. These were among the first major gifts of the Forever LSU campaign.
- In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina (fall, 2005), I drafted and coordinated LSU’s national, institution-wide appeals for the Hurricane Katrina Student Relief Fund (of behalf of the LSU Foundation, Tiger Athletic Foundation, and Alumni Association). This Fund raised more than $5 million by early November 2015.
- As Lead Campaign Consultant with the Louisiana State Museum and Foundation, I raised the first major gifts for the New Orleans Jazz Museum campaign.
- With the UNM College of Education (2000 – 2002), working closely with Dean Viola Florez, I increased overall giving two-fold and created the College’s first endowed professorship, named in honor of former Dean Chester C. Travelstead. The endowment campaign also led to the renaming of the COE Administration Building “Chester C. Travelstead Hall.”
- Have also trained and consulted in modern best practices of major gift acquisition with diverse development staff and Board members (NGOs, higher education, etc.).