Foundation Relations Experience
- More than two decades of experience with national, regional, and local foundations. For a complete list of foundations and charitable trusts I have experience with, click here.
- National foundation experience includes some of the largest: Ford, Carnegie, Kresge, Hearst, Hilton, Gates, Getty, Knight, Keck, Kellogg, Mellon, Rockefeller, et. al.
- Led delegations of LSU (Louisiana State University), UNM (University of New Mexico), CSF (College of Santa Fe), and TNC (The Nature Conservancy) administrators, deans, faculty, and/or scientific leadership on foundation visits nationwide, e.g., MacArthur and McCormick-Tribune in Chicago; Ford and Carnegie in New York; Kresge in Troy, MI; Getty in Los Angeles; and Gates in Seattle.
- With the LEH (Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities, 2009 – 2015), I led efforts to build relationships with numerous national and Louisiana-based foundations, e.g., W.K. Kellogg, Patrick F. Taylor, Baptist Community Ministries, Greater New Orleans Foundation, Community Foundation of North Louisiana, Pugh Family Foundation, RosaMary Foundation, Keller Family Foundation, Beaird Family Foundation, Jones Family Foundation, Goldring/Woldenberg, Zemurray, et. al.
- As Development Director for UNM College of Education, I helped lead the overall university’s relationship expansion (7-figure donations) with two major national foundations: Gates and Kellogg.
- With CSF, I helped secure 5, 6, and 7-figure donations from the William Randolph Hearst Foundation, Eugene V. and Claire E. Thaw Charitable Trust, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, Frost Foundation, J.E. and L.E. Mabee Foundation, and both the McCune Charitable Trust and Foundation. Click here for an overview of the above grants.
- Trained college, university, and nonprofit boards in how to leverage personal and professional connections and networks to secure private foundation support.
- My foundation relations efforts played a major role in capital campaigns for both CSF and LSU.
Closely Related Experience in Government Grants and Relations
- Extensive grantsmanship experience (e.g., proposal writing, project implementation, and stewardship/reporting) with several U.S. Government agencies, including NASA, U.S. Dept. of Education, National Endowment for the Humanities, USAID, and Los Alamos National Laboratory (U.S. Dept. of Energy).
- Led Washington D.C. visits to U.S. DOEd, USAID, and NEH while working for CSF, UNM, and the LEH.
- Prior to working in university advancement (1993 – 1997), I served as COO and CEO for a Baton Rouge-based nonprofit international training organization The Leadership Center for the Americas/Consortium for Service to Latin America. I coordinated all aspects of grantsmanship, acquiring more than $2.3 million in subcontracts from USAID contractors.
“For it is in giving that we receive.”